As I did a few weeks ago, I am going back for round 2 of #MondayListicles with Northwest Mommy and the topic from Jessica at “Team Rasler” is right up my alley: I mean really, tapping into the list in my head of the things I am not-so-good at is perfect, as don’t all of us have some sort of list in our heads, check!
Before I launch into my list, I am happy to say that I am pretty accepting of these “less than ideal executions.” I am pretty happy with me overall, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still find myself lamenting my challenges on occasion and because I am aware of them I can keep trying to work on them.
Here we go, hold your breath, I know I am.
10 Things I am Rubbish At:
1. Saying I am sorry to those closest to me. To anyone I work with, no problem. Admitting I am at fault, accountability, I am in. Sorry I said something that I didn’t think about before I opened my mouth, well that’s a little harder. If you have lived with me at any point, you will agree it’s not my forte.
Say it with me:
2. Letting go of indiscretions against me in the long term. In the short-term, I am pretty flexible or amenable. I “pretend” to move on. In the long-term if you have done something once and you hurt me, I am tend to experience the hurt more that once so you might as well as have done it over and over. Just ask KSP, I have the memory of an elephant, although this elephant does sometimes forget or at least she makes a great effort to try.
3. Rejection. I don’t do rejection well. As a people pleaser it’s something I have always been challenged with. “What do you mean you don’t like me?” How can you not like me? I am nice and try to be kind to people and treat others as I want to be treated….oh wait, we don’t always like EVERYONE we meet Shannon AND perhaps you are over thinking and overanalyzing it, wouldn’t that be a first?
4. Being tidy. I TRY so hard, but no matter how hard I try there is alway chaos! I am an organized chaos kind of gal. To remember to do it, it has to be in front of me and that doesn’t always mean I will do it right away, so then it’s just there…being cluttered. Grrrr…in a house with twins and a hubby who can walk by something on the floor several times without seeing it (how is that possible?) it’s a constant monkey on my back.
5. Being crafty! I so so so want to be crafty! Pinterest was made for crafty people and I feel like a peeping Tom sometimes as I stalk amazing projects and crafty things people have done, envisioning myself recreating the amazing images, and then I wake up to the craft police hauling me away telling me I will never be crafty, so I should just give up the dream.
6. Staying clean while eating. I mean seriously, I am like Pig Pen.When I eat you will know I have been there. Crumbs on the table, on me, on the floor, it’s ridiculous. I sometimes have to methodically think about how I will approach my meal so that I keep it on my plate and not all over the table cloth!
7. Understanding when people are late. I have a physical reaction to people being late. I am admittedly sometimes late too, but not that often and when I am, I usually call to advise the person I will be late. My pulse quickens and I start to perspire. This is an ongoing issue for me and KSP as he tends to leave at the time we are suppose to arrive at our destination…you can see how this all goes down.
8. Prioritizing myself. I am working on this, but if there is one person’s needs to go, it will probably be mine.
9. Doing one thing at a time. I tend to do several things at once. I am like an Olympian in multi-tasking but sometimes this causes more stress than it is helpful as you are not finishing the task and starting a new one, you are doing several tasks at once which can sometimes feel overwhelming.
10. Asking for help. I tend to and like to believe I can pretty much handle everything and anything. Having the minis in the situation we did, I have become much better, but still not great. Although, ironically, I would always encourage others to ask for help, so perhaps I should add to this list, “taking my own advice!”
I am not sitting up on the couch and watching you as you take notes on your pad. Thanks for the therapy session, how much do I owe you?
Do you have a list in your head of the things you are not so great at? Do you let the list get the best of you, or do you keep positive and try to get better at these things one moment at a time? We aren’t all perfect all the time and these imperfections make us who we are and who we are in our own way makes us “just perfect” for where we are today, right now, in this journey of life. I hope knowing this and remembering it can make today ‘anewfavoriteday.’