“The Happiness found in Growing Down.”

March 18, 2012

Uncategorized

“You will find more happiness growing down than up.”  ~Author Unknown

Today is a special day in many ways. It’s my Grandma’s birthday and although she passed away 7 years ago, she is always close to my heart. In many ways, my babies are so lucky because they too get to have a special relationship with their Gigi, Poppy & Harmony and Grandma. Last year my mom, Gigi, came down for 3 months and we had so many special moments. This year, my dad has come for an extended stay and he is also getting to capture those precious moments between grandparent and grandchild. KSP’s mom lives here so she gets to spend time with the minis with some frequency and for both it’s special.

As a parent, it is particularly wonderful to watch my parents and KSP’s parents with our minis. The smiles and giggles that spread across all of their faces with a silly voices, garbaly kisses through the phone and tickles in real life fill my heart with warmth and love.

Today, there are 2 wonderful linkups that I am going to take part in because they are both hosted by wonderful women, and because they are so complimentary. The first is 10 things about being a kiddo from Stasha at “Northwest Mommy” for her Monday Listicles and the other is a dual linkup of “Memories Captured” from Alison at “Mama Wants This” and Galit from “These Little Waves.”

To me these two things are closely intertwined.  From posts about my relationship own grandparents to posts about my mom with my minis to posts about what I would tell my Father-in-Law who passed before I met him.  Being a kid with your grandparents is a fond part of my childhood and I am so happy that it will be part of mine mini’s memories too.

So with that, let’s talks 10 things to love about being a mini:

10.  The world is anything that your imagination wants it to be.

9.  You truly learn multiple new things everyday.

8.  You can look crazy or like a Rockstar after a bender and still be cute.

E channeling Kiss, sans black and white makeup.

7.  You get to play in puddles, stomp, stomp, stomp (while rocking amazing alligator wellies) and it’s the best moment ever!

Q experiences the wonder of puddles.

6.  You truly live in the moment. Feel every emotion when you feel it and marvel at things each time you see them.

5.  You can “let go.”

4. You are loved beyond all reasonable comprehension by EVERYONE.

3. You are a shining star for everything you do.

2.  You are easy to forgive.

1.  You are the best things to ever happen to your family. Mamas, dadas, sisters, brothers, grandmas and grandpas. And with that comes wonderful and loving memories, like a simple trip to the park that becomes wonderful moments and memories for all….

So,the  next time you might be feeling a little down or a little “blah,” think about what things look like as a kid. Look at a pine cone, or a tree or an airplane and realize the wonder in what you are seeing.  Think about your family and realize the purity of that love.  Together or separate, that moment, that magic captured in that moment can make today ‘yournewfavoriteday.’

For more great posts on these topics check out:

and

Featured images shared from:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/light-shades/4666121435/

, , , , , , , ,

About Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday'

Welcome to 'mynewfavoriteday. This space is about gratitude and connecting through being open, vulnerable and real. I hope you will enjoy my take on motivation, inspiration and advocacy and will take the opportunity to tell me of your own thoughts and stories. Why I started 'mynewfavoriteday.' I am a childhood surviving, divorced, now happily married, IVF (and now natural pregnancy) success story, working mother of 2 amazing babies who were born 12 weeks premature. As life often seems to surprise you when you least expect it, we added another sweet baby girl M to our family in July of 2013. While our angel minis, Q and E are now 7 years old, our son, Q, has thrived while our daughter, E, has had a much more difficult journey. She is considered special needs and in September of 2012 was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called Angelman Syndrome. And so, as she has grown, so do we as individuals and as family. How to help her, how to celebrate our differences while allowing ourselves to cope with the challenges that we never knew to expect. Thus, while much of this blog is based on our experiences (good and not-so-good), it is also based on how we must not let ourselves become victims of our circumstances but rather advocate in our own lives. A little bit about me and who I am. In my professional life I am a marketer in the Entertainment Industry; however, ‘mynewfavoriteday,’ was not born of entertainment or marketing but rather as a pathway to help myself and others as we try to define who we are as parents, family members, spouses, friends, colleagues and people. I believe in never judging a book by its cover. Every cover is different, and no matter what your cover looks like, you never know how someone's book is written. Like mine. From the outside, you might never know what truly makes me who I am or what I believe. This blog explores the pages on the inside of my book. My vulnerabilities, fears, happiness, and all my triggers through the lens of being grateful for all the amazing blessings I know I have received but sometimes forget in the challenges of daily life. Thanks again for dropping by. I hope you will come back, subscribe, comment, share, and/or just hang out and be inspired or motivated to make each day for yourself or someone else 'anewfavoriteday.' By being here, you have certainly helped to make it mine. xo, Shannon

View all posts by Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday'

Make today your newfavoriteday and spread the love!

36 Comments on ““The Happiness found in Growing Down.””

1. Stasha Says:

Oh my, thank you so much Shannon! I love that you joined this with Memories Captured. What a beautiful way to peek into the world through your children’s eyes. It is a magical place and I wish we took more time to see it.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This Says:

It’s so true -there is something very special about grandparents relationships with their grandchildren. My son is so very lucky to be able to enjoy a daily one with my husband’s parents.

Love the pictures – look at their joy!

Thank you for linking up with Memories Captured!

3. ava Says:

Very beautiful pictures. The look on their faces are just priceless. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful list.

4. Galit Breen Says:

Oh yes, I definitely feel her JOY right through my screen!

Your Mama love makes that? Obvious!

Love this, girl!

5. Kerstin Says:

Aren’t puddles just THE BEST? Wonderful pictures – so much joy!

6. Renée A. Schuls-Jacobson Says:

So special! Love it Shannon!

7. Bruna Says:

I am so grateful that my grandparents lived long enough for me to have a relationship with them and I love when I see my parents strengthening the bonds between them and my children. It warms my heart. Love your photos!

8. Nicole Morgan (@ByWordsMusings) Says:

Love these – and so much joy in these pictures!

9. Sisterhood of Moms (@SensibleMoms) Says:

These pictures made me smile so big the 4 year old came over and said, “let me see”. Anyway, this list is a little poem about the beauty of childhood. Nice. Erin

10. Runnermom-jen Says:

I used to LOVE to stomp in puddles!! How could I have forgotten that?
    Your pictures are filled with happiness and love…so sweet!!

11. All that makes you... Says:

The pictures alone make you smile. Thanks for sharing.

12. casmarski Says:

Beautiful post. Distance got the best of my personal relationship with my grandparents, but I hope that my daughter is able to get to know and grow with her 2 grandmothers and 1 grandfather here on earth and 1 grandfather in heaven. That bond is special and will never cease.

• Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday' Says:

Yes I totally know what you mean about the distance. It makes it so much harder. I love that your daughter has 3 grandparents that are still alive. We are in the same situation and it is one of my goals to help foster that relationship too. Thanks so much for coming by, I love your Gravatar picture it makes me feel so happy! Can’t wait to check out your blog:)

13. jesterqueen Says:

I love the one with E’s eyes closed and her tongue out while Q sits behind her with that marvelous little evil grin, like ‘what can I get into NOW’, and your dad guides them so patiently.

14. Heather Harrison Says:

This post touched my heart today. Mostly because tomorrow at noon I pick my mom up from the airport. I absolutely love how much my son loves his grandma. She is one of his favorite people on the planet.

I’ve said it many times in the three years since my son has been born and I am sure I will say it many times more. I think he teaches me far more about life than I could ever teach him.

“The child psychologist who thought she had all the answers to parenting until she became one herself.”

15. paul Says:

What a great list, 1 is so true. E and Q are adorable, love the pics.

16. Janice (@mommyslounge) Says:

Great photos. Looks like the kiddos have it made. What a fun life! And yes, they are easy to forgive. I mean, who can resist those cuteness!?

17. Kimberly S. (Sperk*) (@sperk01) Says:

Love this post. It truly lifted my spirits. A great reminder to keep things in perspective. Thank you.

18. Transitioning Mom Says:

What a special reminder for all of us to remember to see life through the eyes of a child when we’ve lost the ability to see the child within. Thank you for sharing your special minis and their day with their Poppy. Though tears of sadness over the loss of both sets of my minis’ grandparents threaten to spill this morning, I focus on the days they were able to share with my girls and the shadows of those smiles that remain in my heart.

19. eof737 Says:

Hugs and best wishes… This is a special tribute and I bet Poppy is watching…