The sounds of letting go.

“Your imagination is your preview of life’s coming attractions.” ~ Albert Einstein

“Maaammma” Q says as his feet pad across the hardwood floor looking for me.

E gives a high pitched squeal delighted by whatever is in front of her. I can imagine the electric smile charged with sunshine as it flashes across her face.  Her grunts of enthusiasm ring down the hall and I can imagine her scooting to whatever has caught her attention.

There is a chill in the air.  The light is grey and low as I sit in my office eavesdropping on my minis playing the room down the hall. I am working from home.

The sounds fill my soul. They bring relief. A light weight sensation of guilt harbored over 2.5 year’s time floating away.  They are close to me now, I have made my choice. I no longer walk the tightrope of wondering what more could be accomplished if I was at home instead of sitting in an office only minutes away.

My heart would leap out of my body and stay behind with them as I left for the office. Offering itself as a proverbial sacrifice at the throne of mother’s guilt.

Now, I can hear their voices, and feel their presence.

A shake of a rattle, a small voice, a crash of Lego tower hitting the ground, a giggle.

I am blessed to have these moments. To have been given this opportunity.  To have been aware enough to take it.

My imagination fills up for them.  What they are doing, what they are interested in, what the future might hold for us.  Now, in a moment I can walk down the hall and preview our future, life’s coming attractions, but I also don’t have to imagine. I can go steal a cuddle, a kiss, and extra minute or 2 of therapy with E.

The sound of the wheels on the hard wood floor vibrate through the chair as I slide back from desk. It’s time to go steal a cuddle.

Linking up over at Heather from “Extraordinary Ordinary’s” lovely “Just Write” and of course you have probably figured out by now I am a total YeahWrite Addict!

, , , , , , , , , ,

About Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday'

Welcome to 'mynewfavoriteday. This space is about gratitude and connecting through being open, vulnerable and real. I hope you will enjoy my take on motivation, inspiration and advocacy and will take the opportunity to tell me of your own thoughts and stories. Why I started 'mynewfavoriteday.' I am a childhood surviving, divorced, now happily married, IVF (and now natural pregnancy) success story, working mother of 2 amazing babies who were born 12 weeks premature. As life often seems to surprise you when you least expect it, we added another sweet baby girl M to our family in July of 2013. While our angel minis, Q and E are now 7 years old, our son, Q, has thrived while our daughter, E, has had a much more difficult journey. She is considered special needs and in September of 2012 was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called Angelman Syndrome. And so, as she has grown, so do we as individuals and as family. How to help her, how to celebrate our differences while allowing ourselves to cope with the challenges that we never knew to expect. Thus, while much of this blog is based on our experiences (good and not-so-good), it is also based on how we must not let ourselves become victims of our circumstances but rather advocate in our own lives. A little bit about me and who I am. In my professional life I am a marketer in the Entertainment Industry; however, ‘mynewfavoriteday,’ was not born of entertainment or marketing but rather as a pathway to help myself and others as we try to define who we are as parents, family members, spouses, friends, colleagues and people. I believe in never judging a book by its cover. Every cover is different, and no matter what your cover looks like, you never know how someone's book is written. Like mine. From the outside, you might never know what truly makes me who I am or what I believe. This blog explores the pages on the inside of my book. My vulnerabilities, fears, happiness, and all my triggers through the lens of being grateful for all the amazing blessings I know I have received but sometimes forget in the challenges of daily life. Thanks again for dropping by. I hope you will come back, subscribe, comment, share, and/or just hang out and be inspired or motivated to make each day for yourself or someone else 'anewfavoriteday.' By being here, you have certainly helped to make it mine. xo, Shannon

View all posts by Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday'

Make today your newfavoriteday and spread the love!

46 Comments on “The sounds of letting go.”

1. eof737 Says:

Enjoy your day! 😉

2. ElizOF Says:

Okay Shannon,
    You will see my contact info with this comment. Have a great day! 🙂

3. JDaniel4's Mom Says:

I love doing this too. A special hug or even just a glance at my son playing can brighten any day.

4. Carmen Says:

Shannon, I truly love reading your blogs! They just make me smile! ♥

5. Running from Hell with El Says:

I feel the tug of the love you feel for your offspring so clearly from your evocative post above. Lovely, my friend. xoxo.

6. kvetchmom Says:

Very beautiful. The joy you take in your children shines through in your writing! Catching them in play or grabbing a quick kiss is just the best. 🙂

7. tara // pohlkotte press Says:

oh, as a mama that works outside the home, I so get this internal debate…everytime I kiss the tops of sleeping kids as I leave the house at 5:30am…but I’m home to pick up from school…still, some days, that’s not enough….

• Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday' Says:

It’s so hard to be a working out of the house mama. I probably would have stayed that way had it not been for E’s special needs but alas I can’t look back with ‘those” regrets and who knew that I would like it so much! It’s not easy and that guilt is ever-present but also a happy momma is a happy life, and them seeing you do what you do well is good for them too! Thanks for coming by:)

8. Katy Says:

So happy for you and being fulfilled there. Just getting better.

9. January Says:

Beautiful Shannon. How lucky we are to be able to give and get those extra kisses and cuddles at a moment’s whim.

10. Y'vonne Says:

So precious and enjoy every minute. I hope to get back their some day myself.

11. Alison@Mama Wants This Says:

There is nothing like being there, being present for those fleeting moments. So happy for you.

12. dmmacilroy Says:

Dear Shannon,

As I read your post and then the comments that follow I find myself asking, ‘how the heck did I end up in the middle of all these blog by moms?’ The answer is that I am drawn to the love, the writing and the joy in life that I find here. Your post tells me you made the write decision (and that’s no typo). Good luck and thanks for the links.

Aloha,

Doug

• Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday' Says:

Hi Doug, I am chuckling as I read your comment…I could see how you might ask yourself that!:) I for one am so happy you have been drawn to the love and I know you have a similar love for your son so I am sure some of that gets to play out in our writing. Thanks so much and and I think you are “write!” 🙂

Smiles and hugs,

Shannon

13. Transitioning Mom Says:

Congratulations on taking the plunge. I know the initial fear well, but this post beautifully captures the pure joy that can’t be felt until you’ve jumped. So happy for all of you!

14. Valerie Strohl Says:

Beautiful. That is all I can say.

15. mothersalwaysright Says:

Gorgeous. I worked from home for 6 months and now work mornings in a radio studio and evenings from home. I miss being able to fit work around nap times, but it was also very hard juggling work with motherhood on days the baby wasn’t in the mood to sleep! You make it sound lovely though. x

• Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday' Says:

I am lucky to have a nanny Molly so I can have the best of both worlds. Kisses and cuddles but closed door office time when I need to focus. It doesn’t come without it’s distractions but based on E’s special needs, we had to find a way to give her some more mommy therapy time and this was our best solution. Very nice you can be home in the evenings though as that before bed time is so special (a little crazy at times, but so special!).

16. That Unique* Weblog Says:

This post feels like a meditation. It could be the running commentary in my head while I walk down the street. I can hear the sounds and now I miss the kids!

17. suzy016 Says:

Listening to my toddler make all his happy noises – and especially laugh – is the best part of my day. Awesome!

18. Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy Says:

How lovely. You really captured the happiness and joy of being able to be so close to your children while working. The best of both worlds. Very well-written!

19. Stacey Says:

Oh, I love those little sounds of my children playing happily. They never fail to make me stop. And enjoy the moment. Great post.

20. sisterhoodofthesensiblemoms Says:

Being in the moment is the best gift we can give our kids. I saw a sign in town recently that read, “Honor your children. Give them your time.” Could be a subtitle of this piece and a great thing to remember. Erin

21. Louise Ducote Says:

Good for you! I’m here to tell you (a decade down the road) that you won’t regret it.

22. Jamie Walker (@chosenchaos) Says:

Such awesome imagery Shannon… I could hear your chair across the floor. Sounds like you’ve found the best of both worlds for you and your family! Well done.

23. heidi Says:

This is beautiful. I could hear and feel and see every bit of this. Lovely.

24. Nina Badzin Says:

Beautiful, Shannon. And the picture is perfect too!